Meet the Schoeneblogger

My photo
I'm the Schoeneblogger. Come on in, and have a look around. While you're here, you should join in the conversation. If you want to find out a little more about me click that tab below that says "about me." If you like what you read or want some of your friends to join the conversation, click the "share on facebook" below the blog. (same goes for twitter or google+)

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Bonhoeffer



Well, I finally finished reading Bonhoeffer. It is a long book, but it didn't feel long. Eric Metaxas did a wonderful job of giving it flow and of course, Bonhoeffer's life itself kept me turning the pages. I was equally enlightened and challenged in my faith and my call to interact with my world around me, as a believer.

I had known of Dietrich Bonhoeffer for a long time, but only by name and that he had something to do with standing strong, for Christ, in the face of the Third Reich. What I did not know or understand was the way he first stood for Christ within the church. Bonhoeffer was indeed a prophet warning the church against the influence of the evil one who was using the new German government for a direct attack on the church and on God's chosen people.

Bonhoeffer stood up for the church against the attacks on the Bible. He stood for the Jews as they were first banned from the German church, as they were dismissed from positions of leadership in Germany and as they were ultimately sentenced to genocide. Bonhoeffer was a warrior of Biblical proportions not unlike, Joshua or Caleb, Gideon or David, as he participated in the dangerous plot to assassinate Hitler.

If you've never read a biography of a faithful Christ follower, you should. I've only read a handful of biographies, but I haven't regretted the time spent with any of them. And Bonhoeffer has moved to the top of that list!


No comments: