Meet the Schoeneblogger

My photo
I'm the Schoeneblogger. Come on in, and have a look around. While you're here, you should join in the conversation. If you want to find out a little more about me click that tab below that says "about me." If you like what you read or want some of your friends to join the conversation, click the "share on facebook" below the blog. (same goes for twitter or google+)

Monday, May 02, 2011

Next Read - Bonhoeffer

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhLeWO8fI3zrQT6ywYN2NoLak3ZrsPYXD9SbBs6fPQKRnQ7vbeb8dAaGZcrGGhCrQbAHlemZnYq66aqbnEo13Zqir519DN9PAegwqOLH1BeFcBino1t2WosddvlH1teHOfsdB_yFw/s1600/_225_350_Book.172.cover.jpg

Finally finished JESUS MANIFESTO and it was worth taking my time. So full of words that point the soul in the direction of Jesus Christ. As a worship leader, I long to point to Jesus week after week - more so now, after reading this book, than ever.

Interesting that in this book were several great quotes from Dietrich Bonhoeffer. I've also read some quotes from him, which people have posted on twitter. It's interesting because I had already decided that the next book I would read would be BONHOEFFER - Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy, by Eric Metaxas.

You readers and/or movie goers may remember the story of William Wilberforce and the Movie - Amazing Grace, several years back. Metaxas first crack at a biography was Wilberforce and in his second effort he has picked a great man of God to study. I can't wait to get started!

It's going to take time to get through the 542 pages, but I imagine Bonhoeffer's unique life at the heart of the empire of evil that was Nazi Germany would take time to tell. If you've read this book or any by Metaxas post in the comments and encourage me and others to enjoy BONHOEFFER - Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy. If you haven't, pick it up and start reading with me.

I think it was Billy Graham who said that every believer should always be reading 3 books - The Bible, The Hymnal, and the Biography of a Christ Follower.

Added 5/3/11 -- I read this morning that Bonhoeffer just won the Overall 2011 book of the year from ECPA.

No comments: